View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
americanmusc1e

Re: Help deciding between 750 mech and vac on my 454

personally I think the motor is mis-matched to begin with. Adding a fairly large cam with stock heads and 3000 stall is what 90% of people do and it's just not the right way to make power. The motor won't get near it's potential and won't be as streetable as it could be. I'm no expert on BBCs but I think they came with some pretty underwhelming heads from the factory.

As far as the carb, I don't know if you really NEED a 750 holley at all, but it probably wouldn't hurt the driveability as long as you go with a Vacuum Secondary.

EDIT: Also, as far as driveability and economy on the street go, The carb is only half the battle. Ignition timing is just as important. Spend some time dialing in the best idle timing, and mechanical and vacuum advance andthat motor will be fun to drive on the street.

FOR ANY STREET MOTOR: I would only go with a mechanical secondary if you have the knowhow and time to tune it in. If you really don't know what you are doing tuning accelerator pumps, then the vacuum secondary will be faster and better out of the box.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted

Last edited by americanmusc1e; 10-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote