View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #15
DarkMonohue

Re: Warmer air at A/C ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, Aaron. Lemme answer the easy one first. The techs only worked under the hood, removing & replacing the parts I mentioned in post 4 above. I did the ducts & outlets in the cab. No other major parts were touched, no gaskets were disturbed.... they are all original 46-year-old parts. Which is not to say chunks of those old gaskets might not have disappeared over the years...
Ah. For some reason I thought you'd mentioned replacing the evaporator as well. Darn! Nowhere to point the finger, then.

Quote:
I haven't yet wrapped my head around warm air bypassing the evap core, given that I have 33-degree air blasting into the distribution box (or whatever it's called) under the glove box. Isn't that where the cold air is coming from -- the box that the evap core sits in?
Yes indeed. But I guess it is just possible that the 33° air you're measuring may be only part of the airflow. Air does weird things.

Quote:
At any rate, whether I understand it or not doesn't matter. What matters is that warm air is somehow getting into the system. I'll see if I can pull the fan in order to eyeball the blend door.
Aha! This post shows pretty clearly (unless I'm wrong, which I was once) that the door Andy showed us should send air through the evaporator when fully closed, and opens (by swinging forward toward the engine compartment?) to allow air to bypass the evaporator and go through the heater core. Even though the heater core is at ambient temp and not "adding heat", air that goes through that door is at ambient temperature (because it's not being cooled by the evaporator). So ambient air may be diluting the cold stuff.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear that the air is cold at least somewhere in the system, if not everywhere.