View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
71jimmy

Hickey Sidewinder installation

I just got my sidewinder installed and wanted to share what I did. I was fortunate because my sidewinder came with the mounting hardware, PO said it came off a '72 blazer. I was expecting it to be plug and play, however I had to make minor changes to the rear support plate, relocated 4 bolt holes and adding 3/8" flat stock to were the rear support plate attaches to the rear cross brace. I just couldn't understand why it would not just bolt up, but as you guys know, back in the day tolerances where not as tight as today. So following are pics of what holds the winch between the frame rails etc. I'm including pics with measurements for folks who may not have the mounting hardware. Keep in mind these measurements are approximate and you may need to make minor adjustments for your application.

This should work for '69 - '72 Blazer/Jimmy and possibly for '67 - 72 trucks. I don't have a truck, so buyer beware! I tried to find an installation manual for our Blazer/Jimmys but had no luck. Hickey Enterprises made and sold specific mounting hardware as a separate item when you bought a winch and they had them available for any of the 4x4s of the day.

I have the skid plate but I need to buy a new front bumper before I install it, I will follow up when I've done this.

In this pic it shows the three items I had to work with. Front cross brace, bottom mounting plate and rear cross brace.
Attached Images

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote