View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
oleCrazyEyes

Re: Life's constants: Gravity, and Murphy's Law

So a few weeks after the wonderful incident on the side of the highway, one of my college buddies drove 7+ hours across the state to help me come evacuate the engine. After I got it towed home and I finally got home from work I started it and the 454 was making some awesome noises. It had a super bad knock coming from somewhere. So after pulling the belts and checking to make sure it wasn't a pulley making the noise I decided to drain the oil and see if the filter could tell me anything. Well I didn't have to pull the filter to tell it wasn't good. I pulled the drain plug and it looked like a silver Camry had emptied it's paint into my oil pan cause it was shiny! I determined the engine was hurt and it wasn't worth hurting further. I had it towed to my my parent's driveway to pull the engine. After removing the engine, the truck sat as a gutted roller for months before I got to tearing into the engine. During the engine removal I did see quite a few things I wanted to change on the truck, shoddy wiring and the interior being rougher than I am really happy with. So months later I finally tear into Murphy's loud and injured heart... well the prognosis isn't good... yes that's a oil pickup with no not leaves but thin nearly inch long pieces of bearing stuck to it. And the silver on the mains is the silicone that was used as assembly lube... So for anyone looking to assemble an engine with silicone as assembly lube it lasts 999.9 miles. I was a tenth of a mile from Murphy rolling over 41,000 miles.
Attached Images

'78 C10: Project "Murphy"
(more trucks to come!!)
oleCrazyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote