View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #22
MARTINSR

Re: Different rear lights on an AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Thats nice looking and probably bright enough. Sorry if a repeat, but incident before last with old lights was vision of "KENWORTH" backwards in my rear view mirror. The brake sounds and stopping about a foot back was enough. Did i mention i was stopped, first in line, at the Thomas Creek Bridge (432' high) google it. Even had my E flashers on. Last one was a looky lou with a 100' cliff on onside and a 500' drop to ocean on other.
One of the biggest things we can do to avoid being rear ended is to change OUR driving habits. I am not saying it's your fault if you get rear ended, but a change in driving habits can make a huge difference.

Leave more room between you and the car ahead of you this leaves you stopping slower and gives more time for the people behind to you to understand what is going on.

Flash your brake lights, this is a BIGGIE in my experiences. I even removed the the stock brake light switch that worked off of brake fluid pressure on my Rambler and put a mechanical one that I could make light the brake lights with a tap on the pedal only moving it a quarter of an inch. This allows me to flash my lights without really even applying the brakes.
I do this as I drive, it's not something I have to even think about, I do it now by habit, just tap on the pedal a few times as I have to slow a lot or come to a stop. I see people behind me react much earlier when I do this.

And the third brake light is a must now, people drive by that third brake light of the car in front of them!

I have studied a number of traffic issues, not just thought about opinions I had, I studied them keeping logs and what not about travel time and stop light length and stopping at lights count and stuff like that and it's AMAZING how our image of these these are so skewed! But watching people, OMG they DRIVE BY the brake lights of the car in front of them. There could be a naked beautiful woman on the side of the street and they don't see her because they are STARRING at the brake lights of the car in front of them.

I spent the day at the wrecking yard looking for the perfect third brake light and came up with this one. Works like a charm!

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote