Thread: which speakers
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
sprint_9

Re: which speakers

Personally I have had and have been happy with Alpine, Rockford, Polk Audio, Infinity, and Kicker. Some of those were quite a while ago but the trend seems that all the brands are good for what they have to work with.

I see you mention JBL, JBL and Infinity are both owned by Harmon audio I believe. I have swayed away from there newer models because they dip down to 2.7 through 3 ohms. I find that to be stupid myself as most head units are rated for 4 ohms. Maybe in a factory application where your using the 20 gauge wire everything equals out, that's their claim, and it probably is true. I personally would rather have a straight 4 ohm nominal speaker.

I usually try to pick something based on the following. Price, cheaper is always good but usually its good to stay in the middle of the pack for a little more quality. Sizing, especially important if your in a tight spot like the dash is. Type of tweeter, I prefer silk or soft domes. Type of surround, I usually try to find something with quality rubber. Sensitivity, higher is generally better. Power Rating, really only look at RMS, if using just a head unit look for something with the low number at 8 or below.

You wont probably wont get a full filled out sound without some kind of sub, even a smaller 6 to 8 inch sub will make a significant difference and make for a complete system. That is my personal preference.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote