View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
Beach-Burban

???Coolant Temperature Sending Unit???

I just got back with the Beach-Burban from a 3 1/2 hour drive (7 hour round-trip...longest distance since I've owned it) and I had a little anxiety because my temperature gauge would pin itself under certain conditions, causing me to pull over just to find that the engine was NOT overheating! The Burb drove beautifully in every other way: Plenty of power (454); speeds between 65 and 75; long uphill grades; TH400 never acted up; oil pressure held firm; no pre-ignition or detonation; no loss of coolant (not even in the overflow tank); no extreme heat radiating from the engine bay; and no crackling noises when shutting the engine down. This held true even when driving with air temperatures of 101 degrees! The gauge would float between the high mark to the pinned position depending on the grade I was on, but never affected drivability to the point that I had to say, screw it...there must be a communication problem between the sending unit and the gauge!?!? The radiator was flushed a couple years ago and fitted with a new pressure cap, as well as having a new sending unit installed because the old (original?) was dead...but during that time period, I had only been driving an hour or so at a time (and mostly coastal areas) so the gauge maxed out a little above the middle line. Do sending units have different ranges of temperature levels? Is it possible I installed the wrong unit...or is it more likely that the original gauge needs calibration? Baffled, yes...but very happy with the overall performance of the Beach-Burban! Any help would be appreciated!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote