View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Beach-Burban

Re: ???Coolant Temperature Sending Unit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Thanks for the link, Leon...very similar indeed! I copy and pasted my post into that thread and will be following along to see if I can learn more.

Woody
***kind of an update***

The other thread Leon linked for me has more than just one person with the same issues...so I went looking at old threads on the subject. This problem has been going on for many years, and it appears that it could be related to the quality of replacement parts!? I also read that with the inferior replacement parts, they will be accurate from "cold" to 180 degrees...but above 180, they start reading way hotter than the actual temperature. This could be why I haven't had an issue for two years? This is what I posted on the other thread:

While searching for additional threads on this topic, I read a number of posts that "might" explain the problem that some of us are experiencing. Apparently there is a consensus that GM temperature gauges for our trucks "changed" in 1979 and the new resistance values of the gauges required a temperature sending unit that had a different resistance curve. That could explain some issues if the wrong year sending unit was used. Additionally, a number of members reported that even when they ordered a replacement sending unit for the right year of their gauge, there was no certainty that the replacement would have an accurate resistance curve...and I guess that this issue was so widespread, that American Autowire started making a reproduction of the GM #1513321 sending unit with a precise resistance curve to match the 1978 and older gauges. I read enough success stories to situations that sounded so much like our issues, that I payed the $27 to have one sent to me. I'll let you all know if it was worth it!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote