View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Easy_E

Floor boards, DONE!

So rather than buying floor boards and cuting out the old and welding in new, I desided to make them. It seems the best material I found for the job was the side walls of an old dryer. One cut to size (I did not need to make whole floorboards just the bend behind the front wheels), I decided on the interior cuts to make matching bends to the original shape. The first side (drivers) took me about half a day. the second (passengers) took me about an hour, this being my second time. I say the second time though I should say third. the first time was the drivers side. The second time I tried using a sheet of hot pressed galvanized sheet which I soon found out though very strong is also very brittle to shaping (on the passenger side). Not much fun with that piece and I had a torn rotator cuff at the time. probably should not have been hammering out sheet to form with a damaged arm but, hey, I love my truck. So now both sides are in after welding in the cuts and making the newly shaped (drier) sheet metal a solid piece again. not bad! for now it will do. Should I keep my truck for life, I'll probably have to go back in and weld in a whole new floorpan but that is for when I have the time and money to tear her down to the frame and start back up. For now I have solid floor pans and no leaks. money spent? 0. time? a few hours I would have wasted watching TV. I'm good with that.
Easy_E is offline   Reply With Quote