View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 AM   #2
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I built my own exhaust system for it; a dual 2.5" into a single 3.5". It sounded great.
I drove the truck around the block a couple times and then, then, I bought one of these:

Yes, it is a Cummins 6BTA. It is a first gen unit and I got a complete Banks kit with it. I basically bought a Banks kit and got a 6B thrown in for free. So I tore the 454/TH475 out of it and sold them, had a little boy and it has sat in the driveway for the past five years.

But recently things have changed.
A test fit:

and installed:

Notice a partial hydroboost unit on firewall.

I set the motor as far back and as far down as I could. The far back is good--I have lots of room for the fan and clutch. the far down is preparing itself to kick me in the junk on the first trail outing: (it's hard to see in the pic, but there is about 4" of clearance between the D44 housing and the crossmember--I'm really going to aggravate this clearance with the D60 I have for it) The sides of the crossmember are 45deg, but the bottom of the crossmember is actually not level. It is canted up on the diff side to create a bit more clearance. I don't like it, but I don't want to raise the motor and I don't want more suspension lift.

I devised a simple crossmember to support the back of the motor utilizing the lower two transmission mounting holes to support the engine in the correct location without a transmission, so I can set up the underhood "things" without having to build the trans right now.

Well, I am tired of typing and loading pics, so the story will end here for today. Stop back to read of further adventures in the future.

(I posted this on another site, but I figured since several of you have been kind enough to sell me parts for it, I should share here)

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-10-2017 at 01:37 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote