View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

Hey Chris,
You will need a reverse rotation fan AND fan clutch. The radiator I used is a '73+ Chevy truck unit and the fan shroud is also a 73+ unit for a big block. It is not a bolt in and trying to explain what I did would take quite a bit. I think if I was to try it again, I would check out an 88+ setup as they are shorter in height which would make the top easier to adapt. For the top, I had to bend up a piece of sheetmetal and TIG weld some provisions for the radiator bushings to fit into whereas with the 88+ this *might* not be necessary. You would still have to fab up a lower mounting setup to hold the new "funky size" radiator. Basically with my condenser setup, I had to make a plate/mount to hold the bottom of the radiator that moved the bottom of the radiator toward the engine about 2". I made a support structure then put a piece of sheetmetal on it and then fabbed up some rectangle pieces for the radiator bushings to fit into and TIG welded them onto the sheetemtal then attached that to the support structure. Not real easy to do, but I had just recently purchased the radiator and shroud so I really didn't want to buy more and when I was told it couldn't be done, well, that was all I needed to make it work.
Hope it helps.
If I take the radiator out again, I'll try to take some pics of the setup.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-10-2017 at 01:19 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote