View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 AM   #16
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

So, once I got the motor in the frame, I was greeted with a problem that would require significant amounts of cash to solve. The fan hub my motor came with drops the fan down and kicks it over to the driver's side. This created two issues: One was the fan was too low. With the motor set as low as it is, the fan was literally a couple thousandths from hitting the crossmember below it. The second was with the hub kicked over to the driver's side, it made using some type of production GM fan shroud impossible. I managed to solve both of these issues by taking a dumptruck full of money down to my Cummins supplier and trading the money (and the dumptruck) for two parts.

Original Fan Hub

Mounted on engine. (I used some caustic cleaner on the motor that destroyed the Cummins paint pretty good)

Original hub on left, new, platinum plated, diamond encrusted hub on right

Of course, with that new hub, I'll need a gold plated pulley to accessorize it:

Now, with all that being done, I acheived a few things. I am able to clear the crossmember with the fan--good. It brought the fan back to the center of the motor, so the use of a production shroud of some sort is a possibility. The last thing I acheived was I gained more distance from the hub to the radiator as this pic (poorly) illustrates

That additional clearance gives me more than enough room to run one of these!!

Yes, as a matter of fact it is a brand new (NOS) Horton electromagnetic fan drive (clutch). These thing have been discontinued for many, many years. I have been looking for one for many years and never came across one. That all changed recently, so now I have the fan clutch I wanted for this motor and the room to run it!!

More to come. Stay tuned.

Last edited by mosesburb; 11-11-2017 at 02:39 AM.
mosesburb is offline   Reply With Quote