View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 06:39 PM   #29
69 C10 LWB

Re: The 65 C30 Farm Truck

Some days just don't go as planned. This weeks work started last weekend. I ordered new u joints and a carrier bearing and a master cylinder. I usually go to Oreillys for all my parts because they are close to the house and the guys that worked there were always helpful. Noticed I said worked, because the guys that work there now have a hard time finding the front door.

I tell the guy behind the counter I need 3 u joints and a carrier bearing for my truck along with a master cylinder for a 67(converting to dual reservoir). They only have 2 u joints in stock, they will have to order one, no big deal Im in no big rush. He goes to get those 2 from the shelf and comes back with 3. I pay for and take the 3 u joints. That was last saturday. Go back monday for carrier bearing and master cylinder. Master cylinder didnt show up, no big deal Im in no rush and its close to the house. I go back tuesday and everything is there, except the master cylinder is a reman( I ordered new) and the carrier bearing is just the bearing not the assembly(and it was the wrong size). They check part numbers and like magic the bearing I need is in stock(yellow box). They reorder the master cylinder. I come back thursday, they finally have the master cylinder. He comes back and the carrier bearing is in a white box now with a different part number. I try to pay and his cash drawer is empty, so he tells me it will be 10 min atleast before I can pay with cash. Ok I can put it on a card, so not a big deal. He returns all the parts and restarts the transaction except my $5 off coupon was a one time use only so now he has to ask grumpy the other guy at the counter how to do it. Grumpy and grumpy start in on how theyd be better off if they got fired and how their wives dont give it up anymore so they dont care if the wives get mad when they get fired. WTF???? I take the parts and head home. Fast forward to today. I install the first u joint. I get ready to install the 2nd cap on the first u joint and it is missing a bearing. I look all over the bench and it is not there. I try to take the first cap back out and I cant because the cross is bigger than the old ones I took out. I destroy the first u joint trying to take it back out. I go to check the 2nd one and the clips that hold the caps on are missing. I load up all the parts I got and head back to oreillys. I returned everything and the guy asks why. I told him the u joins didnt fit and the service has been the worst I have ever had anywhere.

I go 1/2 mile down the road to Car Quest and try my luck there. The guys behind the counter welcome me as I walk in and and seem happy to be there. They look up all my parts and they have most of it. I get Spicer U joints(instead of the cheap $h!t oreilly brand) and a National carrier bearing(again not a cheapo oreilly). I still have to order the master and a couple brake hoses. He has the master cylinder at another store but wont have the brake hose until tuesday because its not a common part. I tell him I will be back tuesday and he is able to ring everything up at once and I was able to pay cash.

Yesterday I sold the rear end from this truck to someone else for use in a 62 C30. He thinks the 5.14 gears will be better because he has an 80s 1 Ton rear end and his truck wont pull itself in 4th so it must have 3.50 or 3.73 gears. I think he needs to do a little tuning but I just need the room in the garage so off it goes. This weekends adventure ends with a couple new u joints installed and a master cylinder removed and a little more room in the garage. The old u joints look like they havent seen grease in a while. I still have the one u joint I messed up since I should have checked it better before I tried to install it. If you notice on the bottom of the boxes there is a dead give away which u joint is better.
Attached Images

69 C10 LWB is offline   Reply With Quote