View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Re: SBC 350 vs BBC 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraBlue71 View Post
I have always heard that tall deck 427 truck motors are pretty doggy, a complete 180 degree opposite of the legendary short deck car motor. Dontknow how true it is though, Inever owned one. With that said, a guy can build a SBC a heck of alot cheaper than a BBC just look at your internal parts cost on a rebuild kit. I love bigblocks though, the neck snapping torque, stoplight to stoplight a BBC is tough to beat, but if ya gotta drive her everyday lookout, its gonna hurt!
It may be true that a truck motor, in its stock form, may be a little doggie compared to one from a Chevelle or whatever. However, it is my understanding that that very same 'tall deck' is more accommodating to the various changes of the rotating mass of internals.
I don't recall for sure what the plan was, I thought the man building it said something about a 4 1/2 inch crank and CI of around 520. I am completely cluless when it comes to BBC configurations.
I do know I run across all kinds of small blocks constantly. I just found a low miles 10:1 '010' .030 over 350 short block for $150 and $75 for the tbi heads! The prices I'm looking at for just the heads for the 427 scares me. I can put together an ample small block for the price of heads and a crank for the other.
But, when all the hype and shop talk dies out, its my truck. And if my best friend wants put a stroked to the moon, who knows how many cubic inch, torque building, neck snapping, tire melting, Chevy Big Block Monster Motor in my truck, I just might have to let him.
Who am I to deny him this obvious pleasure?
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote