View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Domer

Re: Ever done a T-56 swap onto a Gen I small block?

OK, depends on which transmission you get.. LT or LS based. I feel the LS is easier.. Cause i have an LT one.. Mine required custom flywheel(2 piece seal) if you have a newer one piece seal, you can use stock LT1 flywheel and clutch. The LT is a pull style clutch, so your limited on the clutch selection. Then hydraulics for the clutch. If you run a scatter shield, i believe they come with the option of setting up a regular clutch. then hardware, and the prices these days suck for T56.. Honestly, i did an American Power train swap in my buddies C10.. highly recommend. Versus my piece together that i am doing with a $500 Trans... The LS based requires a custom bell housing, and uses stock sbc parts for everything else. Hope this rambling makes sense. I have $960 into my clutch/flywheel combination for 650hp, and i havent even gotten to upgrading internals yet.. The hit up front for the full kit isnt as bad as it seems until you start piecing a t56 together. if you arent making alot of power, a t5 will last for awhile, or a TKO 5 speed will be cheaper and easier then a t56.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote