View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
matthew21lutz

Re: Ever done a T-56 swap onto a Gen I small block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
OK, depends on which transmission you get.. LT or LS based. I feel the LS is easier.. Cause i have an LT one.. Mine required custom flywheel(2 piece seal) if you have a newer one piece seal, you can use stock LT1 flywheel and clutch. The LT is a pull style clutch, so your limited on the clutch selection. Then hydraulics for the clutch. If you run a scatter shield, i believe they come with the option of setting up a regular clutch. then hardware, and the prices these days suck for T56.. Honestly, i did an American Power train swap in my buddies C10.. highly recommend. Versus my piece together that i am doing with a $500 Trans... The LS based requires a custom bell housing, and uses stock sbc parts for everything else. Hope this rambling makes sense. I have $960 into my clutch/flywheel combination for 650hp, and i havent even gotten to upgrading internals yet.. The hit up front for the full kit isnt as bad as it seems until you start piecing a t56 together. if you arent making alot of power, a t5 will last for awhile, or a TKO 5 speed will be cheaper and easier then a t56.
I thank you for all that information.. I understand some of it

Was looking into a brand new trans, I really don't wanna mess with anything used and having to rebuild it and everything. I know new is gonna cost a premium but, the reliability is worth it to me. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tuet11012 That,s what I'm looking into.

I have no idea as far as a what type of clutch, torque converter(I think manual trans have those) or anything besides the basics. I've driven standards but never extensively worked on any
matthew21lutz is offline   Reply With Quote