View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #13
LuckyRabbit4

Re: N00B Post - Air Cleaner/carb connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
You said, "Next, shifting and transmission. 3 on the tree. When going from Rev/1st to 2nd/3rd I have to push HARD or pull HARD on the shifter to get it to go from one side of neutral to the other. Not sure why or how to fix it." I'm answering from memory that is from 50 years ago, but I think your problem is located up higher in steering column. Try removing st. wheel 1st. Then horn, turn signal accessories, and everything to get to where the neutral 'rod'(maybe a sleeve)slides up and down inside the mast jacket. The clearance between the 2 need lubricating to free up the neutral 'gate' when you lift up/let down to move from 1st/reverse to 2nd/3rd. Unless this moves freely, it'll get even worse to where it'll stick in the 2nd/3rd position of the neutral gate" and make it darn near impossible to 'reach' 1st and reverse at all.
HTH, Sam
Yea! That helps a lot. Made it easier to move up and down between each side and find neutral almost everytime. I think I need to tighten the shifter completely because it has a lot of play.

What I'm trying next is to align the shifters on the column under the hood. Completely grease everything I can get my hands on.

I watched a video that a guy lined up the 2 shift rods by hand (while in neutral) and put a screw driver through the two sides to keep it straight. Took the clamp off at the other end of the shifting area to make everything move easier. Then he loosened the 2nd/3rd shift rod bolt just enough to tap on the top to take the tension off that the screwdriver was putting on it.

He tightened all that back up and went to the clamp on the bottom part of the shifting area and put it back on. But before he tightened that completely, he got it together and tapped the bolts on the shifting rods side to shorten the gap between 2nd/3rd and rev, 1st. The neutral gap went from maybe 1/4" to just about 1/8th on either side. Tightened it all up and was flawless.

I should do that tomorrow (9/13) and I will repost with my outcome. Fingers crossed. Trying to get this truck going before next weekend!

Thanks everyone for the help.
LuckyRabbit4 is offline   Reply With Quote