View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Aisin AR5 Transmission Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markuli View Post
Glad to hear your hot rod likes the trans! Always puts a smile on my face when I see a Ford coupe with a Chevy powerplant...

From my reading, the AR5 has a couple GM variants. The two main sources of these transmissions are the Pontiac Solstice and the (more readily available) first gen 2003-2012 Colorado. FabBot, one of the guys who makes adapters, says he's abused these transmissions behind 600HP Ls motors and they've held up remarkably well.

The AR5's most notable external difference from the AX15 is that the AR5's 1 1/8" input shaft is 3/8" longer (along with being 26 spline vs 10 spline). The bolt pattern on the front of the case is exactly the same. If I use the Novak kit I'd have to space out the bell due to that extra length, but what would I have to do about my throwout bearing?

I've been leaning towards the Novak kit because I could keep my mechanical linkage, flywheel and bell. I'd have to go from my 12" clutch down to an 11" to find a cheap kit, though. If I were to go the FabBot route, I'd need to switch over to a hydraulic clutch setup as that kit uses the 4L60 bellhousing.

My Novak kit came with a replacement front bearing retainer that accepted the Chevy throwout bearing. For the '34 I used the stock Chevy clutch parts and a T-Bird cable actuator for the clutch fork to pedal. In a '67-'72 Truck you should be able to use all of the stock clutch linkage with the Novak kit.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote