View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
2 Stovebolts

Ft. Brakes replacement 70 C30 Dump

One of the brakes started sticking after sitting for about 2 weeks. Decided to pull the wheels to see what was going on....Nothing obvious jumped out, so probably wheel cylinders or hoses....Shoes were actually in good condition....After disassembly I soaked backing plates, steering knuckles ect & power washed. I replaced wheel cylinders with Chinese Junk...no not a boat... which proved to be a mistake.... In hind site should have rebuilt the cylinders. Also replaced hoses (US Wagner) I painted all the new hardware, I sprayed Cosmoline on all the nickle parts, along with never seize...all threaded bolts and hardware...want to make it easy for the next guy! While at the L/F I noticed the steering rag joint actually falling apart, so that got replaced....and while everything was apart I scraped, wire brushed any suspension and frame..inner & outer...Brushed on Rustoleum rusty metal primer, and the top coated with gloss black....And finally replaced the correct 1 ton hub spacers that were removed by the previous owner....It had C20 hubs.....Now someone might say that this brake job was an overkill.... which I tent to agree but its really preventive maintenance.....A clean dirt & rust free undercarriage, is just as important under the truck as on top.....
Oh by the way...The Chinese wheel cylinders were so poorly designed that when I went to bleed the brakes it was impossible to get the wrench on the bleeder as it was to close to the brake hose....I had to remove the cylinder take a die grinder and carve out a nitch so the box wrench would clear....
Attached Images

2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote