View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
2 Stovebolts

Re: Ft. Brakes replacement 70 C30 Dump

chevyland....Well brush painting the undercarriage, or the dump body is just part of routine maintenance like owner ship of a wooden boat, or a large water vessel...keeping every thing preserved as much as possible especially in the north east....Wheels are a big issues with this era C30 trucks....do you recall what tires you ran? See my before & after pics...When I went to look at my truck for purchase I was totally confused...Was this a C20 with duallies on the back and a used C30 fender that someone never changed the emblem?? The truck had a fresh low grade paint job.. No.. the data plate decoded it as a C30.......Now I've been accused by several, that I've been too hard on the ole boy who had this truck...so I'll keep my emotions in check....but yet this is just another mess that had to be dealt with....OK all 6 tires were mismatched in sizes, along with being dry rotted....The front were 16.5 the rears were a couple of different sizes as on one side, one tire was larger than the other, so the inner tire never touched the pavement.... The front were tubeless & the rears a combination of tube & tubeless...At that point I was so focused on the front, I didn't pay too much attention to the rears....My attraction to this truck was simply the 292. had it been a V8 of any kind I would have ran like hell....Once I got the truck home & had a chance to digest my findings. I called the guy who sold me the truck to ask if he could ask the 'boy wonder', he got the truck from, if he still had the C30 hubs..the reply was, he got rid of them....Now why on earth would you remove the c30 hubs to replace them with C20 hubs???? I know, he didn't want to buy tires so he found a C20 with decent tread and did a Rube Goldberg.....probably in some field, and when he was done he just got in the truck and drove away leaving the hubs & budd wheels behind along with some beverage cans, and fast food wrappers....That whole episode must have been some site to watch....LMAO......but its no joke as I had to deal with it....Thankfully my connection in Long Island 'Chevy Dave' a great guy who breaths Chevy, to the point of having a bowtie tattoo on his arm, how dedicated is that! with his preference for trucks, came to the rescue with replacement front hubs....Dave has a very small yard packed to the gills, along with his small mobile home which is used for storage & office.... Now Dave wasn't all that excited to sell me the hubs.. but he did....as now he has a vehicle he cannot move, & I know he can't get the wrecker in there......So now you see, how the mindless irresponsible decision,of someone has yet affected another person..... and my condescending comments are too harsh.....Tools are as useful and beneficial as they are a means of destruction....and we all heard of the saying 'Fell into the Wrong Hands" ...Moving onward & upward....By the way if anyone is interested in a 'Billet' grille...PM me.....
Attached Images

2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote