View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 12:17 AM   #188
Duncan K

Re: 66 GMC Long to Short LS Swap

Got the body work done on the top of the hood and got it shot with epoxy.

I picked up another passenger door and started over. I hung it and made sure it fit right. Pulled a few dents from it being opened too far in the past. I cut the door skin off below the upper body line this time because the repo door skins aren't made right and the upper body line is too low. Got the door blasted inside and out. Fixed a rusted out corner on the inner door bottom and shot the inside with epoxy. I managed to cut and remove the door skin from the first door attempt. This was really hard to do without wrecking it. I laid it over the new door to find that this door is wider than the last and the door skin is too narrow. I fit and welded the skin on and ground the welds down. To widen the door skin out to match the rest of the door I bent 1/8 tig filler rod and welded it to the edge.

Feeling really good about being able to save and reuse the door skin. I hung the door on the truck.

Mother #&^%$&^%$!!!!!!!!

Door is warped, it sticks out about 3/4 inch at the top. I guess I got a little aggressive and welded it to quickly. The edge where I welded the tig filler rod is warped pretty bad too.

Pulled the cover over the truck and walked away, that was mid December