Thread: Tpi
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Re: Tpi

You cant beat free...

I have a couple of stock IROC camaro's with TPI and the system is very good (drivability, maintenance, power, etc). Like others have said the MPG's wont go way up, but these are great torque motors and there is plenty available as far as aftermarket upgrades.

I will say that there are differances between the 305 and 350 TPI units injector size [but can use smaller injectors on a 350 with an increase in fuel pressure], also there was a change in 1989 (F-body at least) where the earlier units use a cold start injector and the later do not. There were 4 different knock sensors, and then there is the MAF or speed density motors. Then there is the theft deterrant (VATS)

I just read your plans for the motor...There is also two different base manifolds, the older one has all of the intake bolts at the same angle while the newer manifold as the 2 on each side near the center (4 total) bolts more vertical for the center bold cylinder heads. I know you can use either manifold on either head but you have to "wallow" out the holes and doesnt look very pretty. I think the vortec heads have the bolts at a completely vertical mounting position and I also thought that the bolt pattern if different.

If you are using the entire motor just use everything, but if you are swapping the injection onto your longblock do some research. Easy to do with the proper information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
I have a chance to get a complete TPI setup out of a camero for Free. i wa thinking of pullin the motor, freshen it up a little and install the TPI. The truck has a 700R4 and 3.07 gears I will probably put a little larger cam and swap in some vortex heads that I already have. This truck is for my son so speed is not what I want, sound and drivability is what I am after and the TPI for free well thats a plus(I think).

So basiclly if I install the TPI is should give me better fuel economy and drivability as long as I dont get crazy on mods?
thanks
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote