Thread: Tpi
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Katrina/10

Re: Tpi

[QUOTE=MARKDTN;5940213]You might be surprised by that 305. The IROC 305 roller cam motors were not bad at all. The TPI system was really designed around a 305. If you do put it on a 350 you must get a 350 knock sensor as they are different. Here is a little TPI history/interchangability.

Following is information on TPI swap in a 68-82 Corvette, however much of it is applicable to a 67-72 truck. The big difference is the fuel tank. If you don't mind the tank behind the seat, you can use a stock tank and the Ford external pump. The truck I did ('72) was a short bed and he wanted the tank out of the cab. I looked into a 87 truck TBI tank and I think it had clearance issues with the rear suspension (might work on a long bed). I used an '86 S10 Blazer tank from a 2.8TBI vehicle. I even used the fuel lines from this Blazer up to the engine compartment with some re-bending, but they worked pretty well. This put the filler rear and right. He swapped to a stepside bed from a 88-99 pickup and had the body shop swap the filler around. It did require a bit of frame cutting and boxing, but it was all behind the axle mounts. I just swapped the TBI pump to a TPI pump from an IROC Camaro. The TBI tanks work nicely because they use barbs on the hose insead of screwed firttings. Be sure to swap to FI hose and FI clamps, there is a difference and it is important. On the truck, he wanted headers. I despise headers, on my own truck I would use stock manifolds and weld a bung into the exhaust for the oxygen sensor. I mounted the ECM behind the glove box which took up a lot of room. If I ever did another, I would buy a C4 Corvette weatherproof ECM and mount it in the engine compartment instead. This requires a more expensive harness and ECM, but it would help in the cab. On the swap I did, I used C4 Corvette serpentine accessories, which forces you into electric fans because the aluminum water pump cannot stand up to mounting a fan. If you go this route and have A/C, it will require a custom hose. Also, you will want to upgrade to a CS144 alternator, the CS130 is not very reliable. A better (less expensive) alternative is probably 88-95 TBI truck acessories, which would allow a pump mounted fan. If you have any other questions, please ask. This was written almost 10 years ago, so finding good used low-mileage TPI engines is probably not possible now, and the prices are not correct anymore. Just look at the technical info below and ignore those details.
Thanks for the TPI lesson! Always good to read about the diffences in those units, and how they relate to other EFI systems. Have you ever used an external fuel pump on a 67-72 truck with a stock in cab tank?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote