View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
wakeup

Question My Possible Project (1990 Suburban)

I have a 1990 2wd 3/4 ton suburban with the 6.2, th400, and i'm assuming, 14 bolt rear with unknown gears. Picked it up just before this deployment because we needed something cheap that had at least 7 seat belts and could tow. It does all that, plus gets about 20 mpg on the highway, so I'm pretty happy with it.

My wife thinks we should sell it and get something newer. Boo.

I'd like to do a couple of things with it and i'm looking for some ideas and feedback. Some of these things probabably go against rational thought or contradict each other, so bear with me.

For fun, I'd like to lift it. This would include using a method similar to "Bucannan" which means 4" lift spindles off of a 88 to 99. Hopefully this will allow me to clear 35's. Next would be a selectable locker in the rear, and possibly gears while I'm in there. If the spindles don't make enough room for the tires i could do as much body lift as needed (up to 3 inches) to make up the difference. I believe this will work because I currently have 32's on it and you couldn't make them rub if you tried. Any other ideas or objections or thoughts about this lift plan?

Second, I would like to make a little (or a lot) more power. I've thought about a banks turbo, finding a 6.5 turbo donor, swapping in a 6bt or duramax. I really don't have the time or money for a 6bt swap, let alone a duramax. What I'm looking for are things that are more simple or cheaper than any of these options. How do they respond to headers/exaust? Are there adjustments I can make to the fuel pump? Any thing like that. All ideas welcome!

Last, is fuel. I'm hoping that some of the things i do for power might make it possible to get better milage, if not, oh well. I don't know where else to start besides keeping it in good working order with the right tire pressure. Maybe swapping in a 700r4 or overdrive unit? Maybe there's something cheaper that I've over looked, this is my first diesel.

Anyway, Please convince me that this truck is worth keeping by providing some ideas and feed back for what to do with it. Even if it's way off from what I'm thinking now, nothing is set in stone.

Semper Fi,

Wakeup
wakeup is offline   Reply With Quote