View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Dual headlight issue, cutting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm View Post
I’ve got a 1961 step with a headlight issue. I added dual headlights and it now I’ve had some issues, can you please help me.

I added dual Headlights, now only high beams work, and only momentarily. It seems the headlight controller switch on dash heats up and trips. I can hear it trip, headlights go out and eventually come back on.

Currently low beams don’t work, but have confirmed all lights are working.

I have replaced dash switch and foot switch, with new units. Still having issues. Using original wiring and fuse box.

Is there something obvious I am missing, like a ground? Where are the standard body grounding locations for 1961? Should I rewire the entire thing?

Thank you for your time and help
A circuit breaker is built into the headlight switch.. It's designed to "trip" when a certain current draw is exceeded.. This is what's happening with your lights.. Stock headlight bulbs and even Halogen bulbs should not draw enough current to trip the breaker.. If you've added "flame thrower" lights, the current draw may be exceeded, but that doesn't explain the no low beam issue.

I don't understand this statement. "Currently low beams don’t work, but have confirmed all lights are working." Low beams not working indicates a wiring error in the system.. Simply throwing parts (guessing) at the issue is not a proper approach.. Locate and correct the low beam problem and your problem may be solved. I suggest you start with a wiring diagram for what you're working on and a digital voltmeter..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote