View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Todd68Chevy

Re: 39 Chev 1.5 ton, need ideas what to do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
about 6 months ago I bought this 39 ton-and-a-half. I didn't need it, but I got it for $100 so how can you pass up a deal like that? Now I don't know what to do with it. Any ideas? The rear end is locked up, and I really don't want to use the axles anyway. But, I'm not sure but I think the wheel opening on the larger trucks is bigger than pickups, so I'm not sure what it would look like on a S-10 frame. I really like the fenders, headlights, hood of these trucks, so rat-rodding just the cab is not something I really want to do. Getting rid of the hood fillers to show the engine would be fine.
Any thoughts?
Yes the front fender openings are bigger and the running boards drop down farther than on a half ton. The cab, grill, hood and sides are the same as far as I know. I just found a set of half ton fenders to use on mine. I am putting a 1946 on a 1993 S10 frame and I can tell you that the frame is to 5 inches to wide behind the front control arms and is good at the rear of the cab. Check out my thread in this forum. I can also say on the 1940 Chevy 1 1/2 ton I have, the rear end is the right width for a 1988 Chevy box truck rear end but the front end is a lot narrower. I had the original front axle modified for the box truck spindles and now the steering is an issue that I have not solved. If you are looking at a smaller frame you might want to check out an older body style Dakota, I am not sure their width but they are straight. Good luck, I am sure it will be fun. Todd

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.

Last edited by Todd68Chevy; 01-28-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote