View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Yesterday I drove the Dodge down to wichita and back, about 300 miles round trip. It was about 105 degrees out and the truck (including the A/C) worked great. The truck runs very cool, about 150 degrees even with as hot as it was out. I managed 18.2mpg doing about 70 the whole way. Not quite as good as I had hoped for, but not terrible either. Apparently I can pick up some mileage if the truck runs hotter (~190 is best I've read).

A slight change of plans. I decided to go with a 92-00 (I think thats the last year of this style of that body style). I decided to do with this for more modern ammenities and less rust. So I found one today.

I picked up a 97 GMC crew cab dually. 454/4L60E/2wd. The cab is rust free. The hood has a few dings in it as well as a few other dings on the body. The is a "conversion" truck, meaning that it has "upgraded" interior that is very dated and tacky with wood and plush leather. Well after 15 years, it is beat, dirty, and nasty. So it will be getting a lot of cleaning, some removal of items, and some new stuff. The drivers seat is totally shot. The center console will have to go at least to make room for the 5 speed.

I'll be parting out the truck starting in a few weeks. I figure I'll get the most for the engine if a buyer can drive it, so I'm not going to pull the engine yet. Hopefully it won't take too long to sell.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote