View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #452
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Changed out the rear u-joint. I really didn't think that was the problem, but figured I'd elimnate that possibility. So I got that done (probably the easiest one I've ever done so that's good).

Started it up and started moving, and I heard more popping. So I had my wife come move the truck forward and back, while I watch the driveline, but couldn't see anything. After looking and looking, I was thinking its the transfer case.

I took it for a test drive and same popping and shuttering in 3rd and 4th gear (so since its doing it in at least 3rd, 4th, and 5th I don't think its the transmission).

I get back to the house and figure I'll pop off the rear diff cover to check the rear gears. I've had the fluid to change it for a few weeks anyways, and figure I'd eliminate that. So I get the cover off and all looks good.

So that gets me back to the transfer case. I rebuilt the damn TC a few months ago. The rebuild pretty much consisted of new bearings. So now I'm thinking I need a new chain or something else in there. Before I order parts, I'm going to get the TC out and torn down to see what I need.

Pain in my butt, especially since I sold my suburban a few weeks ago and I have the transmission torn down out of my jeep. So I'm down to sharing the minivan with my wife
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote