View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
ChevyTech

Re: 89 S10 4.3 Need help troubleshooting TBI/IAC Idle issue

Quote:
Would it help to take pictures and post them?
Sometimes a photo helps save a lot of time. I have noticed people had plugged the EGR vent port by looking at photos they posted. That is something people don't find even if I ask them about the EGR vent port.
Quote:
Should I test the Idle Air Control?
If the IAC does not work it can cause and engine to load up, or flood, when it is started. You should not have to hold the gas pedal down to start a fuel injected engine. If you have to on a TBI engine it is a good indication there is a IAC problem.
Quote:
Is it time to dismantle the TBI again?
My biggest worry about people working on the TBI unit is that the aluminum is very thin in the area of the bottom of the injectors and can crack if injectors are forced into the housing without putting lubricant on the o-rings. Also the o-rings can get damaged when the injector are installed. This is why I ask people to turn on the key so the fuel pump runs and watch the injectors for dripping fuel.

Quote:
Should I get the injectors tested by a qualified shop?
Injector failure is not all that common. There are rarely the cause if the TBI sprays to much fuel.
Quote:
Seems like the ONLY possibilities are a) Injectors are dumping too much gas in the engine (reason still TBD), or b) Gas is LEAKING into the engine from somewhere (besides the injectors).
On the TBI trucks there is no fuel pump on the engine to rupture and leak fuel into the oil. There are not fuel lines or a regulator under the plenum that could leak without being seen. Just look at the TBI for fuel leaks.

Quote:
When I replaced the fuel filter, I didn't cycle the fuel pump to relieve the pressure. First I disconnected the fuel hose between tank and filter. Then I disconnected the incoming fuel line from the TBI, and not much more gas dribbled out. Then I started disconnecting the outgoing fuel line (return line for when there's too much pressure), and it just kept on leaking and leaking gas. I finally gave up and tightened it back up again. Does this tell you anything? Is there any way that a plugged up return line could result in gas being dumped into the engine?
What you have said is not real clear to me.

If the fuel return line, FROM THE TBI TO THE FUEL TANK, gets plugged, the fuel pressure will go to high, unless there is another problem, like a weak pump or split hose in the fuel tank. This problem does happen, but is not common.

Removing the fuel filters that GM put under the vehicle is a messy job. Often fuel will keep running out until the new filter is installed and tightened. Keep trouble lights away from the vehicle for safety reasons.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote