View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #60
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

The first thing you do is set your collectors at the desired finish height. For this I just took some old 6x6 timber I had laying around and drilled a 2 1/4 hole down into it to keep the collectors from moving around. Next you just start laying out where you want your tubes to go.

I thought this process would be easy because I had so much more room to work with due to the fact that I had a straight six. Wrong! The Clifford intake requires a very tight bend coming directly out of the ports. And the power steering bracket adds some complications. But after about 10 hours in the shop today this is where I am at.

I tried to keep the tubes as close to the Clifford style exhaust as possible with the exception of pointing the collector straight down.

So here's is where I ran out of steam for today. I got the front 3 ports done and started on the back set. Once I am certain as to the configuration I want, I then have to go a screw pins into all the joints to keep everything from moving during transport.
The one nice thing about a straight 6 is you don't have any clearance issues with the steering linkage!!!!

Once my mock up is complete, everything goes in a box and sent back to Stainless Inc. where they will build a fixture and do the final assembly in stainless!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote