View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #67
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

So it was onto the next step. Filling in the 40 or so holes that were left from where I removed the pop rivets that held the patch on the back of the cab. So I have to admit I have never done any kind of body work at all. Plus I have had limited experience with a welder. So it was a learn as you go type of project.

I wasn't sure if it would be better to try and fill the holes in or just cut the hole back of the cab out and stitch a new panel in. Especially since the area is also "oil canning" pretty bad. That option seemed to be WAAAAY beyond my ability. I figured I couldn't make it any worse then it already was. So I just decided to jump right on in feet first and see if I could fill the holes in with my Miller 110. First in order was some beer, Zepplin, and to send the wife and kinds off for the rest of the day.

Once I played around with the heat and wire speed it seemed to go reasonably well. I just worked from one hole to another zapping one time at the edge of each hole. After awhile what seemed to work the best was zapping the top edge of each hole and letting gravity help the bead drop down to the bottom of the hole. Once I got 3 or 4 zaps on each hole I would go around and lightly hit the weld spots with the grinder to clean them up and then start the process over.

Getting closer

So am I doing it right????????? I have no idea but it certainly is better than what I had when i started. Fro the inside of the cab it looks as if the penetration is good. But what the hell do I know.

So buy around 2 o'clock I had 20 or so holes filled and roughly ground down and the rest of them about 75% filled in. But I was out of beer and tired of listening to Zepplin, and it was time to watch the first 50 laps of the NASCAR race before I will probably fall asleep.

Time to roll her back in for the night.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote