View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #43
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjh1316 View Post
Looking good glad to see it moving forward again. I had several body shops say they were going to glue in the floor patches on my truck when I got bids kind of made me a little leary. The glue is susposed to work great but welding just seemed right. I will be watching your progres with this to see if I over reacted.
The way I see it, is that for non-structural things like this, it doesn't matter which way you go. As long as it's done right by either method it should be good. Bad welding, bad fit up, improper finishing, etc., can be just as bad as an improper glue job. Realistically, what's the worst that can happen? It's just a floor pan. It's just there to keep the elements out and your feet in.

If a seam loosens up, use some heat to pull it off and redo it. Or weld it, or put some screws in or rivits in it to hold it. It's not like it will fly out and cause an injury accident. On the paint and body board there are a few threads discussing adhesives. It is the prefered or recommended panel replacement by many manufacturers. It's very strong. It seals the seam and is corrosion resistant. I'm having a hard time finding a reason not to do it this way.

Now I'm saying all this without actually completing the job, I'm optimistic. If it doesn't work I will definitely post that too. And I'll be investigating to find out why it doesn't work. If it does work, this could be the ticket for a lot of people that are not welders but are proficient enough with some tin snips and a grinder to overcome the fear to repair their cabs.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote