View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
BaroneDog

Re: Rusty Roof Best Approach?

Made some progress. Got the lid off and did a little wire wheel de-rusting. Looking for some feedback on which path I should follow next.

I added some pics below to illustrate the current condition and how the surfaces looked before/after a wire wheel hit. They are pitted but structurally sound. So, now I face the dilemma of how far I take this:

1) Do not dismantle anything further: Continue using abrasives (wire wheel, sanding, blasting) to clean off all surface rust, metal patch/weld any spots where rusted through, and treat everything with POR-15

OR

2) Further Dismantle: Try to remove inner roof sheet metal as well, leaving just the top cab frame structure, metal patch any spots needed, abrasively clean everything thoroughly and treat each piece with POR-15

#2 would certainly be more thorough, but just not sure if worth it. The only fear I have with #1 is that I cannot get into the cracks/seems of the various pieces and they may rust through later. However, if that ever happens in the lifetime I have the truck, I could probably just address it from the inside at that point.

Note: In both cases above I will put on a new outer roof and side gutters.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote