View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #12
zac

Re: Troubleshoot this electrical problem

Replaced two fusible links, new alternator. Started and ran fine with my push button and a two handed screwdriver. Fuel gauge in and out. Tested the resistor and it seems fine, but it's been an issue since forever. Nothing seems burned out. I really didn't let it run long when it had the problem.

Took the column to a guy who redid it with new and used parts while I waited. Learned a lot watching somebody who knows what they are doing. Side note, the key cylinder that O'Reilly brought him didn't work. We had to take it back to the store and get one that actually turns. He installed and adjusted the new switch, but he made me take the old one home just in case. He wasn't impressed with the new one. Detents sloppy, etc. Guess what, it didn't work. Oh for two. I called the guy and he had me install the original, tweaking the adjustment so that it would fully engage the start function.

Burned wire on one of the ignition switch connectors. It's a small gauge brown and white wire that shares a terminal with a heavy orange wire. I traced it and can tell it's been an issue for a long time and doubt its related to the recent problem. The wire is a single silver conductor. Looped around the harness a bit and then went to the firewall connector. Looks like heat was an issue all the way. Couldn't get the firewall connector off because of course the screw that holds the halves together stripped out. I replaced the wire but would like to know what it does if anyone knows. It says on the diagram "omitted with 6 cyl gauges." My diagrams are incomplete screen shots and I can't really trace it. Anyone knows what it does?
Attached Images

zac is offline   Reply With Quote