Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #590
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Update - Another Trans Cooler...

Sooooo.... I didn't plan on this. I was originally going to just use my frame rail mounted axillary cooler for my 4l60e. Then after some research I realized that is for axillary only, cools up to 20 degrees which wouldn't be enough for longevity. So I decided to plum to my radiator and the aux cooler. Well I stripped the threads in my radiator. Friggin aluminum... I wasn't thinking. I bought A/N adapters from NPT and evidentially the NPT wasn't the right threads in the radiator. I started tightening the first one in the rad and it felt fine but I was using a wrench the whole time and somehow didn't feel it. Usually you can feel it if it's wrong threads ya know what I mean. Well this aluminum must have been so soft because I got all the way in and I thought cool, done. When I went to the second one, I felt it almost 2 threads in. I thought what the heck. Anyway, they are ruined and radiator shops don't want to fix them. I said screw it.

I also researched external coolers and it seems they are better than radiator because 2 things. 1 they heat up the radiator fluid some. Not as efficient for engine. That one isn't really an issue if you size your radiator correctly.... 2 the coolant isn't cooling the trans fluid as efficient as a stand-alone in front of radiator.

In steps the Derale 7000 Series Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler

I found tube and fin was a lot cheaper than solid core trans coolers. In extreme situations they could foam up but I doubt I have that issue with my setup. It was only $31 quan. No install kit. I already had the A/N line. I bought a few 90 degree fittings. The cooler is already setup with A/N fittings so that was awesome.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13316

I had to build my own brackets. I forgot to trim them, I didn't cut them very even, and really I was just plain sloppy making these. But really, end of day, who cares. This isn't a show queen.

I rebuilt the existing lines to the aux cooler. Reusing the A/N adapters on it. So I ran the output of the trans line to the new Derale cooler up front, then ran the Derail output to the Aux cooler on the frame, then Aux cooler output to the return line on the trans. I have a trans temp reading from my LS PCM so I will be able to report back those temps when I get to drive it. I'm guessing somewhere around 50-60 degrees cooling total.

Here are the pics. I used frost king pipe insulation I had laying around to pad the unit from the radiator fins.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote