View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
k1rodeoboater

Re: How-to....69 Camaro tank retrofit

Oh yeah...and ground clearance since I'm sure someone will ask about it...As far as I know I'm at stock height

7" to the bottom of the pumpkin

11" to the bottom of the tank

If you're dropped subtract your amount of drop from what I've listed above and it may or may not be correct. I'm not sure if my springs have been heated, how much they've sagged, or if it'll change when I replace my worn out shocks.

And just in case someone missed it the tank capacity is 18 gallons. The tank comes with a 90 OHM sending unit, so you'll need to add a resistor or pot to your wiring to "convert" it to work with your stock gauges. If you've got aftermarket or are going to aftermarket gauges just get a 0-90 ohm gauge and be done with it. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the wiring and keep it waterproof. I'll be adding pics and diagrams of the wiring and running of the fuel lines.

If you went to my build thread you'll see I'm working on a very limited budget with very limited resources. If you had a welder you could weld the nuts to the bracket and call it a day. If I had a welder I'd also weld on some square tubing across the bottom of the frame rails to protect the tank from a rear end collision. Mine is exposed right now, but the only way to hit it is to go under the bumper and in about a foot and change. The only tools I used were...
-tape measure
-sharpie
-cardboard
-floor jack
-wrenches
-ratchet and sockets
-prybar

Wear gloves when doing this. I sliced my hands open pretty good a few times on the edges of the tank, they're razor sharp. I also busted my knuckles a few times on the frame/tank, punched myself in the face, and broke a finger when the grinder caught and locked up crushing my finger between it and the metal. Wear eyepro while cutting, sparks will fly and they burn...so also wear long sleeves, pants, and a hat. I've got the burns on my arms to prove you should. Ear pro is also a good idea, I didn't wear any because I'm an idiot, so don't be an idiot like me, but I consciously remember at several points saying I wish I had some ear pro.

....and no animals were hurt during the install....except me....zeh plangium...kluk-e-joy-yey