View Single Post
Old 07-19-2023, 01:20 AM   #4
mr48chev

Re: Replace radio, gps and more with cell phone

The problem with cell phones is that with a number of apps you still have to have a connection with a cell tower for it to work.

I've got an Alpine head unit in my OT daily that does have the CD player but it also has blue tooth, Pandora, sirus, something else, a connector for a USB and a connector for a pin style auxillary unit. Plus it sounds great though the 10 or 12 speakers in the car. I can load every CD I have on one or more memory sticks and probably go a couple of years without hearing the same song except where it was on more than one album . That means no need to clog the memory in my phone with music.

Broomhilda the bossy GPS either died or is on the injured reserve list but she has directed my family all over the Pacific North west and down to Pismo Beach. Never a lack of function except in tunnels and the redwoods. Swapped between cars and trucks, left out on the dash in110 degree days, went off on a trip with my daughter, loaned to a buddy, that old 60 buck GPS has done it all. Meanwhile when I got away from internet connections in White Salmon Wa I had to drive around town until I finally got enough of a connection for my GPS on my phone to work so I could find the place that I had planned to go eat at. That has been my experience with phone gps more than once and I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE G5 that is finally paid for. That thing will do about everything except cook dinner if you have good phone and internet connection.

I watch a lot of the youtube off road rescue shows including Matt's off road recovery and Casey Ladelel out of Bend rely too much on their phone GPS and often loose connection.

When the 48 hits the road it will have a hidden headunit one way or the other. I've got a six volt radio in the dash I am using that I'll have to have a voltage reducer for but it it will probably get used more for show and tell than road use.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote