View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #85
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Hope this helps someone down the line. Starting to think about installing my engine and trans. I have a Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed ready to go with my GM crate motor. I was always semi worried about the gear shift location, but knew it could be moved.

I did research yesterday and saw a DIY kit to move it to the forward position,but had to take trans apart to do it. Great thread here on this DIY Not what I was really wanting to do, but if I had to I had no choice. Then I did more research and determined the DIY kit was for an OEM Tremec T56 (a used one out of a GM Camaro or similar) not the Aftermarket Tremec T56 Magnum I bought.

I found out that there are 3 locations that are plug and play on my trans. The factory spec, right in front of it and the front location (which is what I want to use). To use the shifter location in front of factory spec, you just need to swap the plate with the shifter to the other side. In essence reverse the plate so it is facing the other way. Then I determined that Tremec (and others) make a 4 bolt plate with new shifter for the forward position with a 6 bolt cover plate for the rear. So you just need to take off the factory shifter and cover the opening with the plate provided. Don't forget to put RTV on the plate before bolting it down. Remove the forward plate and put in the new shifter again putting RTV for a no leak fit.

When I actually do it, I will take photos and do a DIY for the trans if anyone is interested.

Here is a pic of my transmission in the box and 2 shifters for the move to the front location. Found the Tremec at SpeedwayMotors.com here and another at Coreshifters.com. I will most likely go with the Tremec even though a little more expensive.

Edit: Definitely buying the Tremec shifter. I contacted coreshifters today to ask a quick question. They answered quickly enough, but the answer didn't address my questions and I was told to read the page the shifter was on. Well I read the page many times before I contacted them and the answer was not there. If you don't have good customer service before a sale, what should we expect after they have our money? Buyer beware IMHO...Will not be purchasing anything from them...regardless of the $ savings.
Attached Images

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 04-29-2019 at 03:21 PM.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote