View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
pjmoreland

Re: Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_GMC View Post
PJ, I see that you installed Belltech Street Performance shocks. Have you had a chance to to put them thru their paces? I am interested in changing out my KYB's for something a little more performance oriented without breaking the bank. Would be interested in your review.
In the front I have 1" drop springs and 2-1/2" drop spindles, so the shocks I got are part number 2103HA. Had to install a thick washer underneath the upper mount studs to keep the shock body from hitting the frame (used the lock washers from the original shock mount studs). These shocks are larger in diameter than the stock shocks. Had to compress suspension about 1/4" to get the shocks installed, since the fully extended length wasn't quite long enough otherwise. These shocks have a high level of damping. I noticed this when driving over a speed bump. The front end was somewhat slow to rebound.

In the rear I have 6" drop springs, so I used 2208AA shocks. I should probably install a shock relocation kit, as my shocks are quite slanted right now. The rear suspension is quite stiff at the moment, as is to be expected. It hops around when I hit repaired/rough sections in the road.

Overall, my suspension is somewhat harsh, but that's the way it goes with a lowered truck. I didn't expect to have a cushy ride. It does, however, handle very well around curves. I have a sway bar on the front that helps, too. With these new shocks, lowering spindles and springs, the front suspension no longer bottoms out if I hit a dip in the road. The truck had 3" drop springs and stock spindles when I got it.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote