View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
SCOTI

Re: trailing arms: Goodmark vs. ECE vs. OEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKotze View Post
Dear fellow enthusiast, please allow me to respectfully disagree. You say: "the triangle needs to be able to flex somewhere to allow the changes", and that's where I think you are wrong. That kind of flex is unwanted, why else would one install a rear anti-sway bar? Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong. P.S. I'm planing on fabricating my own T/A out of square tubing.
So we respectfully agree to disagree.

Yes & no.... Flex beyond articulation is unecessay. Flex for articulation is quite necessary & the triangle (the rear T/A susension on C10's) used the original material choices for that. No flex for articulation means binding. Binding vs. smooth articulation can unsettle the suspension. A suspension that gets disturbed @ the wrong time is unpredictable.

On the subject of rear sway bars.... Rear bars are used for specific reasons. Many install a rear sway bar 'because'. Because why? Because it's necessary? Because other guys have one? Because different vehicles have them & this GEN of C10 didn't so adding one is 'better' vs. not having one? If you install a rear sway bar, what size bar are you specifying?

A rear bar if needed is supposed to compliment the front so the size up front matters when deciding what rear bar. Adding a sway bar to a T/A set-up that utilizes solid tube arms & non-flex style front bushings won't hurt simply because the set-up is already limiting articulation.

It's your truck so use whatever you think is best (solid tube arms, poly bushings, & add a rear bar). Normal driving down the street to the burger joint, Cars & Coffee, or local show won't stress the suspension enough to notice a difference.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote