View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #5
Estock

Re: Powder Coat Predicament

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I do some small job powder coating for personal use and I have used Prismatic powders fairly exclusively...I have never had a huge difference in a sample chip and the powder.

The problem with coating a different color (over current color) to the part is twofold in my untrained opinion...

1. The underlying color will make the new topcoat color a different shade, even slightly...that is how you can get some different shades and effects.

2. The only time I have used a color over a color, usually when I use clear powder for clear coat...or when I do a candy color with silver flake as the first coat...the 2nd or 3rd color doesn't want to adhere to the first color as well...I usually use something call hot flocking where the part is heated and then powder coated...so it sticks to the hot part and melts immediately, but then still needs to be cured in an oven.

I would ask the shop did they do anything to the part before powder coating it...just to make sure they didn't put another color under it for some reason which could change the shade.

Unfortunately if it were me, I would want to strip it and start over with a different powder coater...or ask them to see the powder they used...it should have the prismatic # and color name on the bag or bottle the powder is stored in.

Sorry this happened to you! Good luck.
Thanks for the response. There is nothing under the powder. It was blasted and went straight to powder.

I'm at the point where I want to strip it as well, but it's a ton of work. Maybe a chemical dip is a cheaper option. Doing this all over again, I'll be $3500 into this. It's getting expensive.

The powder used was all the same prismatic # according to the shop - From the sample I matched my paint sample with to the powder that went on the wheels to the powder that went on the frame. All three are different. The shop is claiming the thickness of the powder may be part of this variance. I'm no expert, but it seems unlikely.
Estock is offline   Reply With Quote