View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: axle swapping and the Ford 8.8 stuff

I think it comes down to the "can I fix or get it fixed on a road trip a long ways from home or will I have to figure on hauling the truck home or to a shop that can fix it.

The big difference for some of us who put a lot of long distance (500 + 1 way road trips) trips on our rides is that we have to think about what we are going to do if parts that tend to wear out/give out at inopportune times give out on the road a long ways from home.

In theory if you loose a wheel bearing on an 8 inch or 9 inch Ford rear you can pull the axle, take it to a parts house with a press in the back room or to a shop and have the axle pressed off and on and stick it back together and go again. On the same token if you blow the ring and pinion for some reason you can most likely scrounge a get me home third member in a wrecking yard and put it on and be on your way in a few hours. Not quite the same with the Spicer style rear Eat up an axle when you loose a wheel bearing and you have to hunt an axle that fits that specific rear. Loose the gears and you are on a roll back for a long ride home.

The first road trip after I get my 48 back on the road is to Central Texas where my wife's family is. Then on to some of those Bucket list spots from there. Probably 10K before we get home again. That includes distances between gas stations that are further than some guys have ever or ever will drive their trucks from their home garages all the time they own the trucks. If something breaks I want to be able to replace it rather simply and not have to rely on a red label package arriving on the Brown truck to get it going.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-19-2018 at 05:10 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote