View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 02:47 AM   #60
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: 68 C10 Yellow wire from firewall to starter/coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_dan View Post
What a great thread this is! I recently bought a Pertronix system to replace my points.

I have a 1968 C-20 with a 327 in it.

Just to summarize or me and make sure I have this right, here is my plan. I will not be doing this for several weeks as I sent my quadrajet to the local guru to rebuild for me and I don't want to add any variables.

I can remove the yellow wire from the coil and leave it unattached and leave the wire on the starter. I can put this back on if I need to return to points.

I can take the firewall connector apart and remove the cloth covered wire and just leave it aside in case I need to return to points.

Use a new Packard 65 connector and 12 gauge wire to go from firewall connector to the coil.

That's it, right?

Dan, if you want it reversible, you don't need to mess with the contact on the Bulkhead Connector. Just leave the Wht/Orange/Purple 20 cloth-covered wire alone. Tape off its other ends, the two Yellow 20 terminals [one at the solenoid and one at the coil] and wrap them back in the bundle. Run a fresh 10- or 12-gauge wire from the Ignition Unfused terminal in the Fuse Block to the Red [Positive] terminal on the Flamethrower coil.

[When your Pertronix ignition burns out, you can easily go back to points by stripping out your two Yellow leads and reattaching them, Replacing the coil, reinstalling the Points breaker plate inside the distributor and regapping plugs back to .035.]

Adjust the gaps on your spark plugs out to .045 for high energy ignition.

If you have the Pertronix One [not II or III] be sure to keep your key in the Off position when the engine's not running. Leaving the key On without running can burn out the module inside the distributor. This is not a problem with the Ignitor II or III.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote