View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #145
Low68

Re: Avoid the Concrete

So I have finished all the door hinges and put the doors on. I aligned them as best as I could. Then I started on installing the front fenders. There are two bolts to mount the fender at the top. The rear bolt has a nut welded on the inside of the door pillar. On both sides, the force from the accident pulled these bolts outward and deformed the pillar. I decided it would be worthwhile to cut out the nut and put in a plate behind there and tack weld it in. So I cut out the nut and drilled some spot weld holes. I cut a piece of metal and drilled and tapped the hole. I fished it up from inside and lined up the hole. I then welded it in place. I tapped the metal down so that it was flat again and welded around the hole.

Here is the driver side fender put on. I still need to do some fit adjustments. Another problem I noticed on both front fenders is that the rear brace where you put the lower mounting bolts is twisted. When you tighten them down, it wants to pull the front of the fender inward. I have not done anything to remedy this yet.