View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #111
gerfunken

Re: Scott's 1972 Chevy K-20. A place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I actually mocked up a burb tank from an 89 V20 and it fits pretty nicely. What power level would you like to be at later on? On mine I'm going to see if the sending units operate in the same Ohm range. I'm not sure if they're the same from 72 to 89. Either way, I'm ditching the stock suction tube for a draw straw 1/2" diameter. In the past I've simply removed the stock suction tube from sending units, drilled the hole bigger in the sending unit, and brazed a 3/8" line I bent up in the sending unit. You can run 3/8" feed and 5/16" line on your truck and use the factory lift pump on the LH side of the engine block. No filter is needed pre lift pump. There is a screen to filter large debris in the lift pump inlet. You can add one pre lift pump, but you'll want to make sure it can flow what the stock lift pump will flow to not over heat the lift pump. This is another nice feature of an aftermarket fuel system. But, to keep costs down, you could get a filter head and run a good water seperator pre lift pump and be good to go.
Ok, so from a power level, I'm looking at 600-800 ft.lbs. which should be below 400HP in the 350-375 range. Since I use this mainly for hunting/fishing/camping I usually only pull a small trailer up and back, but most of the time is spent driving around in 4x4. A lot of the places that I go hunting at are 4x4 access in, and don't lend themselves to pulling a large trailer.

Rock Auto states that the sending unit works 0-95 ohm and I believe that the 72 runs at 0-90, so it should be really close. As far as modifications go, I'm hoping that I won't need to modify the pick-up lines and that I'll be able to run without any issues on the 1/2" pick-up tube.

Glad to hear that the mock-up worked well, it is encouraging to hear. I'm sure there will need to be some minor modifications to get the 35" long tank to fit.

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote