View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #67
ryanroo

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Good point on the backlash. I was going to make this thing collapsible but with my tendency for having stuff sit around , this will probably always have a 350 or 6bt on it. Bolt pattern is 4 inch so its going to put about 4000 lbs tension at most on the top bolts, not much for 1/2 bolts going into 5/8 thick material. I think my engine is bigger than life, its not scaled yet. I have it 40 inches from top of valve cover to bottom of oil pa. 7Inch spacing between uprights could be reduced, 2.5 Square tubing on those, 3inch on Horizontal parts. Unit will get casters but my engine hoist is made by john Deere so no worries there
the JD hoist is a more versatile unit that mine! i doubt the bolts will ever cause issue, i was more thinking the joint where the plate with the bolt holes joins the shaft. if the plate is small the leverage is increased on that joint. diameter of the shaft will be the factor there though so i guess that doesnt matter. the space between the members of the column does seem wide. mine is 3" tube and a 3" space between. it is hell for stout in that area. i would guess you could shorten that a bit and save some overall length.

i considered doing mine modular so i could unbolt the column and attach it to the floor, but i decided like you said, i have enough junk, and the stand is cool enough, it will have something hanging off of it most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
Does anyone use aandroid for posting on this forum? Setup auto correct is insane to use, how do I turn?off? settings show everything is off andI am about ready to smash something. . this post took 10 minutes extra to type up because of flipping auto corr. t
i was just telling Ryan earlier that i would have busted the crap out of my phone a long time ago if i was 5 years younger. i only use them for forum posting if i am away from home, but just texting it corrects so many things stupidly it amazes me.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote