View Single Post
Old 06-26-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
aggiedave98

Let me put a disclaimer, all I know about is an 89 suburban, so I don't know how different your year is, but hey,it's a chevy, so it's not likely to have changed much in 20 years....

But, I just rebuilt my whole front end susupension and steering and the only part I had to go to the shop for was to remove the control arm bushings. The guy at the shop could BARELY get the toughest one out. I thought he was going to give up.

So, with enough discouragement... you can probably do them yourself, but he used a pretty nice (MAC tools) air chisel to get them out. If you can get a better quality air chisel, then there's no reason you can't do it yourself. If you decide, to, PM me and I can give you a call. My in-laws actually live up in New Braunfels.

I may not be able to answer all your questions b/c since I was replacing everything, I took the control arms off and did them that way. I'm not positive if I could have left them on.

If you want to take the control arm off, which you may need to do, then yes, go to Oreilly and rent the suspension tools and you can use the pickle fork to separate the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle (after taking the nut off). Then, there are the bolts that go into the frame. Before you take it off, I would suggest the breaker bar to loosen up those large 1 1/8 (on mine at least) nuts on the cross shaft. And yes, you can re-use those spacers. Those are for the alignment.

I hope that helped at least some. I would be happy to give you a call sometime if you need more info, but again, I'm not sure how much is different on yours.
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote