View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #48
rfmaster

Re: 5.7 TBI in an 86????? Anyone done this swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Thanks RF,
Your right I wasn't getting power to the injectors but I think I found the reason. One red wire from the donor I suspected needed hooked up while the key is on was unhooked. When I put power to it the injectors started squirting. It now kinda runs under it's own power (still has to be wired permanantly).

I was trying to figure the fuel lines and I may be wrong but it sure looks like the original fuel line is 3/8" The return looks like 1/4". I guess I still need to run a 5/16 return? I picked some 3/8 steel line from Autozone and it is the same dia. as the original. Also there was a lot of discussion about the use of dual tanks. I don't understand why we can't just tie into the main line and use one pump? I guess if your driving down the road under a heavy load it may stumble the engine? Maybe a little? If it's unsafe then I may need to consider the small pump to move the fuel from one tank to the other.

Things to do still:
Finish the wiring
Install the new fuel pump
fix all the vacuum leaks
change the starter? it sounds like the gear is hanging on the flexplate
install speedo gear and vss
make it driveable
On electrical
Looks like you are getting close to a working solution. Just be aware that you are dealing with 20+ year old OE wiring harness. Use of auxiliary relay block removes current from old harness (including ignition key) making the overall installation robust. It is extra work, but it provides long term reliability.

On Fuel Lines
I used both 3/8" lines for supply and return. You can go with 5/16" return, but why bother. Do not use 1/4" vapor line for fuel return line. The back pressure will screw up fuel pressure regulator in the TB. This will create fuel delivery havoc!

On dual tanks
I have fully functioning dual tank system. This system revivals the one found on B-737 - no kidding:

The fuel system took me about four month to fabricate (I was not in a hurry) which included a lot of 3/8" fuel line cutting and bending (soft steel).

Tank select valves and low pressure lift pump:

Low pressure pump lifts fuel out of selected main tank and feeds it into surge tank which provides un-interrupted fuel supply to high pressure EFI pump. Surge is needed since I have non baffled (pre EFI) main 20 G tanks:

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote