View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: How good do our trucks do with cab over campers - c10 2WD

I have a '70 3/4T CST Custom Camper truck that has had a shell on it since '73. I didn't own it in those days, as it belonged to my wife's parents. I've driven it many times in the 37 years we have been married, pulling a number of different trailers, including car haulers. The worst handling that I have ever experienced was after I bought the Firestone tires that are on it now. It has a bunch of over steer, even though we are running 10 PSI higher in the rear tires. I'll probably end up with a rear stabilizer bar as a result. It had Michelin tires on it before that, and handling wasn't even an issue.

I will also say that this was before we put the cab over camper shell on it. I've done a fair bit of road racing and street racing in my time, and can handle the over steer. My wife used to drive this truck to school (university) in downtown LA traffic, and has noticed the difficulty with the new tires as a passenger. I don't want her to drive it until I get it sorted. That might require another $1k or more in tires and wheels. #notmadeofmoney

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote