View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #3300
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Good to see you back on the tk sense you have all kind of things going on. Just a note on your finder braces. If the upper part is good just use what you need at the bottom (cut new brace and weld in whats needed) as they are a pain to remove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
Great progress Rian.

I have used paint stripper and a wire brush on a grinder to strip both my fenders, you're absolutely right you have to know what you are working with before you start any repairs. A blow torch and scraper removes filler very quickly,.

With your fender repair it's all down to personal choice, I wouldn't joggle the fender repairs, it does give you a bit of leeway if you get your cuts wrong but you will run into problems getting the wheel arch to look right and the seam at the door edge will be tricky too.

I'd always butt weld this kind of repair, if you take your time with the measurements, leave an 1/8" extra on the panel for wriggle room and then grind the last little bit until you have the perfect fit. You have the skills to do that no problem
Thank you gents.

I think cautious, slowly, gently will be the operative word here.

Took a day leave today so that I could prepare for my mid year review next week.

Yes, it is a big deal and a lot of preparing.

Fetched a fan from the garage, because it got hot.

This thermometer is inside my bathroom.

At about 19.00 Iwent to the garage to give the four rescue chairs a coat of Danish Oil.

With help as always.

Despite the two coats of furniture oil, you can s e the difference the Danish Oil made.

And all four done.

Happy with the exult.

Probably around £35.00 plus my time

Hopefully years of use ahead in them
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote